SAT Subject Tests are 20 multiple-choice standardized tests given by the College Board on individual subjects. They are usually taken to improve a student’s credentials for admission to colleges in the United States.
Colleges use the SAT Subject Tests for admission, course placement, and to advise students about course selection.
Some colleges specify the SAT Subject Tests that they require for admission or placement; others allow applicants to choose which tests to take. Students typically choose which tests to take depending upon college entrance requirements.
Since the New Year has started, SAT subject test dates are also coming closer. By now, you have gained maximum knowledge of the various subjects and already studied for exams.
Before appearing for the test, you should be well aware about the structure and specifications of the test.
Specifications & Structure
- Each individual test is scored on a scale of 200 to 800
- Every test is a one-hour timed test
- A student may take up to three SAT Subject Tests on any given date at a flat rate.
- Fee in South & Central Asia- $49
There are 20 SAT Subject Tests in five general subject areas:
- S. History
- World History
- Math Level 1
- Math Level 2
- Biology E/M
- Spanish with Listening
- French with Listening
- Chinese with Listening
- German with Listening
- Modern Hebrew
- Japanese with Listening
- Korean with Listening
This is the basic information regarding the test that a student must know before appearing for the test. Now the question arises that why should one give SAT Subject Test? What is the advantage of this test?
Although, SAT subject tests are not mandatory, all Ivy-league universities i.e. the highly selective schools require 2 SAT subject scores and very few universities require 3 SAT subject scores. SAT subject test scores establish your proficiency in a subject and is therefore helpful in boosting your profile for the top universities.
SAT Subject Tests can help you show off your strengths.
- Some good colleges require SAT subject tests especially when you are applying for a particular course or program.
- These subject tests help you to stand out in college admissions. Admission officers get a clear picture about your subject knowledge and hence it helps them to prefer someone who is good in a particular subject over a student who hasn’t given SAT subject test. By sending Subject Test scores to colleges, you can showcase your strengths.
- SAT subject test will give a message to the colleges about your interest in a specific subject. You might not score very high in your SAT because you are weak in one of its section but you might be extraordinarily intelligent when it comes to the subject or the course you are willing to take in that college.
- SAT subject tests play an integral role if you’re an international student and your English is not very strong. You can use Subject Tests to show your academic strength in math, science, or other languages.
- Decisions regarding admissions as well as placements are taken on the basis of SAT subject tests, hence it increases your chances of getting on-campus placements. So Subject Tests open a door of opportunities for you.
- SAT subject tests are a great opportunity for bilingual or multilingual students. If you speak a language other than English, it is your golden chance to showcase your skills.
Now that you know that SAT subject tests are of great importance, start preparing well and give your best in the upcoming test. Keep checking our blogs to stay updated with relevant topics regarding studying in USA!