College is the most valuable investment you can make in your future – both financially and personally. Hence, one must choose his/her college wisely.
There is no doubt that most of the top ranked universities across the globe are located in the United States, for e.g. Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and many more.
- But what is so special about these universities?
- How is education system in the USA different from education system in India?
- Why should one go to the US for their higher studies even when they can study in their home country at much lower expenses?
These are a few questions, which come in the minds of students who are considering going to the U.S. for studies.
In the United States, there is a vast variety of subjects and fields for each student to choose from and the scope is tremendous in whichever field the student wants to work in the future. On the other hand there is limited scope and opportunities in India due to which students are forced to pursue a few particular courses only, by letting go of what they are passionate about.
The students get large number of opportunities to work with top multinationals after graduating from top globally reputed universities.
The diverse and advance campus life in these universities motivates or brings out the inner entrepreneur of the students. USA UnivQuest counselors can offer detailed in-person consultation to help students explore various educational aspects of going to U.S. for studies.
So what are the reasons to study in US universities?
- Quality Education
- Huge Research and Training platform
- Abundant Job opportunities
- Plenteous colleges to choose from (more than 4500)
- Financial aid for students
- Diversity in campus (students come from various countries and belong to different cultures)
- Exposure to the developed world (Superpower!)
After understanding the value of education in the US, the question that now arises is how to go to the US for higher studies? Our next section answers this question in a detailed manner.
Procedure for going to the universities in the United States
The first and the basic step is to give the standardized tests required for admissions in the US universities, i.e. SAT or ACT. These tests are designed to assess students’ readiness for the college.
- This test takes three hours to finish, plus 50 minutes for the SAT with essay.
- As of 2017, the current SAT costs US$45 (US$57 with the optional essay), excluding late fees, with additional processing fees if the SAT is taken outside the United States. For Indian students, it costs US$94 without essay and US$104 with essay.
- Scores on the SAT range from 400 to 1600, combining test results from two 800-point sections: mathematics, and critical reading & writing.
The SAT has four sections:
- Writing and Language
- Math (no calculator)
- Math (calculator allowed)
The test taker may optionally write an essay which, in that case, is the fifth test section.
The ACT is divided into four multiple choice subject tests:
- Science reasoning.
The test scores range from 1-36. The English, mathematics, and reading tests also have sub scores ranging from 1 to 18. The composite score is the average of all four tests.
In addition, there is one optional writing test. The writing score ranges from 1-36. The writing score does not affect the composite score.
Test of English as a Foreign Language is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities.
It is a four-hour test consisting of four sections each measuring one of the basic language skills. All tasks focus on language used in an academic, higher-education environment. The four sections are:
The SAT and SAT tests are standardized tests in the US and it is compulsory to give any one of the two for getting admission in the US universities. So it becomes important for a student to prepare well in order to score good in one of these tests. USAUnivQuest is determined to help you and prepare you for these tests.
USA UnivQuest also prepares you for:
SAT Subject Test
There are 20 multiple-choice standardized tests given by The College Board on individual subjects. They can improve a student’s credentials for admission to colleges in the United States. Every test is a one-hour timed test.
Advanced Placement (AP) is a program in the United States and Canada created by the College Board which offers college-level curricula and examinations to high school students.
- American colleges and universities may grant placement and course credit to students who obtain high scores on the examinations.
- Upon passing an Advanced Placement, you can prove your advanced knowledge that can help you in getting credits in college.
- Advance placement test is a very effective way of reducing one’s college fees.
- One can reduce their tenure at the university and graduate before all their peers do if their score well in these Advanced Placement tests.
AP tests are scored on a 1 to 5 scale as follows:
5 – Extremely well qualified
4 – Well qualified
3 – Qualified
2 – Possibly qualified
1 – No recommendation
In addition, completing AP courses help students qualify for various types of scholarships. According to the College Board, 31 percent of colleges and universities look at AP experience when making scholarship decisions.
USAUnivQuest is the place that understands the importance of AP and is one of the few institutes that prepares you for the same. USA UnivQuest also assists you in writing your college essay.
Your college essay really matters. Essays, can sometimes make all the difference between an acceptance and a denial. Essays are generally written for three types of questions:
- Describe yourself
- Why you want to attend our college?
- Discuss an issue
Once the mission of getting a good score for admission in a good university in the US is accomplished, your work is still not over.
Now you must shortlist the best colleges and course for you and send your application to the desired colleges. Once you receive acceptances, you will have to decide which one you want to go to. Then you need to go through the Student Visa Process and finally start your pre-departure preparation.
Don’t worry; USA UnivQuest is there to assist you throughout this process. Starting from test preparation to college essay guidance to choosing the best college and course to all other finance, visa and departure related aid.